Monday 22 December 2014

Interview with Mayukh Haldar


Reported by: Aakanksha Singh
Photographs by: Sumit Thakur




The freelance wildlife photographer of Nat Geo India, is a pass out of this college of the batch 2009-13 from the Civil Engg. Dept. He was recently present in SMIT to take his degree and that is when we had a chance to interact with him and also know about the photography club he started, The Crew, initially known as The Photographer’s Club in the year 2013.

Q.You are here in SMIT after one whole year. What are the changes that you are seeing?
Ans. The infrastructure of the college has changed in one year itself, for the better obviously. They are renovating the classrooms and putting up projectors in each of them. It is good to see that and know that it will definitely help the students. The amphi theater has turned out well. Before it was built, we used to play cricket on that space (laughs). I hope the college and students use it well.
Since, I am from the civil dept., I have to say, the F block is coming up so good and so fast. Even the labs are so well equipped now. I am happy to see the college grow so fast.

Q. When you were here, there was no Wi-Fi, although now there is. What do you think about that?
Ans. There was Wi-Fi actually, but only in the C block which was also not accessible most of the times. I think, now, with the arrival of good Wi-Fi connection, there is more accessibility to the world, you can search or download things conveniently. Earlier, we had to sit in the cyber cafe for hours waiting in the line and then also, many of the desktops did not work.

Q. You started a club of its own kind, The Crew, for photographers. What was the idea and how did you go about it?
Ans. The idea was as simple as teaching photography skills to the interested people and show everyone some good work. It is not that before the club there weren't any photographers, there were many, but they did not have a direction. If they clicked really good pictures, they did not know what to do with them or where to take them. There was no way by which a photo reached a person if they got clicked.
I wanted to change that. One day, while sitting in my friend’s room, we had this amazing idea and decided to gather people and so, called upon a meeting for all those who were interested and wanted to learn. I got a good response and that’s how we formed a club.

Q. Ever thought of coming in front of the camera?
Ans. (Laughs) not really. The drive that keeps you working behind the lens is too strong. We want to get our work recognized, but coming in front of the camera is not the only way. This is the first time I’m giving any such interview.

Q. You were the chief photographer in the Ed Board of SMITsonian, the annual college magazine. What was your experience?
Ans. Yes, I was a part of the Ed Board for two consecutive years.
I was the photographer for the Wardrobe War and had many of my own inputs as well. When you are a part of something so big, you get so many new experiences and the chance to meet great talent of not only your field but many others. I met some amazing photographers, whom I had many things to learn from and in turn, give them my learning. I am better at wildlife photography, but my friends there helped me out in getting better at capturing humans too.

Q. What are the things you like and miss the most about SMIT?
Ans. The life and the people definitely. The location of our college, as everyone knows, is amazing and as a photographer, it was always a plus point for me. And the people are so good here, and the talent outstanding.
 When I was a junior, there was so much harmony among everyone. And interaction between juniors and seniors was productive. Nowadays, that interaction is often perceived as ragging. Interaction should be allowed among everyone, which is how college life becomes fun. In my batch, there were just 6-7 disciplinary cases. These days, so many cases of disciplinary actions are coming up.

But anyways, college life is all about fun and studies, of course. I had a lovely experience and have made some great friends and memories that I plan to carry with me for life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *