Tuesday 23 December 2014

In conversation with Rohit Karwa (Former V.P of SMIT)

Reported by : Yash Sharan
Interviewed by: Aakanksha Singh, Manav Bhalla, Mayank Arora, Shashank Singh
Photographs by: Sumit Thakur


Q. How was your 1st year in SMIT?

Ans- My 1st year was very good! In the beginning when I came to this college I did not know anyone but  then gradually I made wonderful friends. Thanks to the earthquake because it united all of us. I had a good bonding with everyone. Due to the earthquake we had to sleep outside in the quads. The overall experience was very good.
After that I was elected as the CR and after becoming the CR I had to form the council. Everybody around me was confident that I would become the VP of the college. I remember we had a “Movie Club” in my 1st year. It was not very regular. I remember the 2nd movie had been called off due to the earthquake and the movie club had also gone down after that. Then again in my 3rd year when I became the VP I started the movie club again.
I had to face many challenges and overcome different hurdles but I could again successfully start the movie club. More improvements will be made like the screen will be replaced with a wider screen. There were not many clubs when I was in my 1st year. Even if there were, they were not very active. But now there are many clubs and students here are aware of what is happening around them.                                 

Q. What are the changes that u have seen in SMIT? With respect to the Wi-Fi and clubs. How was your life without the clubs?

Ans- What I like the most about the clubs these days is that atleast the students are here participating and  want to be an active member of the club. I still remember the head of placement when I was in my 1st year  Mr.Ashish Sharma, he was the one who used to talk about MUN. He was a very positive and motivating teacher and he always used to encourage me to join MUN. Also whenever I log in to Wi-Fi, I see the link of 'THE CHATTER' and it really makes me feel very happy when I realize the fact that something good is happening in this college and which will make the students busy in something productive. 
These clubs give the students an opportunity to come out of their rooms and excel in what they are good at. Weather it is photography, public speaking or even managing things. What is important is that they are getting a chance to do something productive. I really appreciate the fact that students are coming together to form clubs and working together.

Q. Have you faced any sort of problem related to administration?           

Ans- Yes, the other change that I have seen is in administration.
I feel the administration that was there earlier was better. Every time administration is blamed for every ill occurrence. But personally I feel if change has to be brought, than it is you people who can bring change.
Whether it is the recreational clubs or the mess food. It is up to you people who have the power to change things around you. Complain everyday if you have problem with the mess food. There is a register in the mess office. Make sure you people write your complains. Untill and unless you do not complain they will continue to be under the impression that the food is good. 
I understand the fact that the students feel there is no change after all complaints but as it is said 'The pen is mightier than the sword!' And so in this college if you want to change something make sure you have pen down your problems. That is how you will be able to bring change in this college.

Q. Every year you have seen new faces as you are in Final year, what would you like say about fresher’s mindset?

Ans- The biggest change that I have observed here is a subtle and drastic positive change is everyone’s personality. There is no decency in the 1st year students. The way they react is sometimes just not acceptable. Even we people have fun but we very well know our limits. Once it is crossed than it is not fun anymore but is called being disrespectful.
I remember we were never disrespectful towards our seniors. The anti ragging committee is there to prevent things from going out of control. But there should be a basic interaction between seniors and juniors. Untill and unless you don't interact how will you know the person. This interaction is important as it will help students know each other.

Q. So is SMIT progressing or depreciating?

Ans- Personally I feel it is a mixture of both. On one hand the infrastructure is improving but on the other hand the student quality is degrading. The moral values that a student should have is not there in the new batch of students. I remember I was taught a word called "SMIT CULTURE" that "SMIT CULTURE" is degrading and it is happening at a very fast rate. 
When I was in my 1st or 2nd year I do not remember a single case of a junior disrespecting a senior. Otherwise the college is progressing. We have projectors in every classroom. The placements have also been improved.

Q. You just have one more month to go in this college, what is that you are going to miss the most and which time will u cherish the most?

Ans- I feel that this last month I will cherish the most as this is "THE LAST" I have in this college. I want to  spend this time with the people whom I have been close to and who matter the most to me. This feeling and the realization that I have only one month left is inside every 4th year student. This feeling at times is very  depressing because this is the last you have of everything, in short the last of your college life. In this one  month every 4th year wants to do everything he has not done in his past four years. Somebody wants to improve their terms and conditions with someone whereas some people wants to confess something to someone.
So basically in this short time we want to do "EVERYTHING"  that we had not done in the past four years so that we leave this college with NO regrets. This one month matters the most and this you guys will understand when you people will face this last month of college life. When you realize the fact that you will not be seeing those people whom you have been with for four years, is really very depressing. I came to this college as a boy and I pass out as a man, a man who is mature enough to make decisions on his own, a man who can take responsibility of his decisions. This is what this college has taught me apart from making me an engineer.

Q. When did you realize that your childhood is over and you are leading to something big in life?

Ans- I am very thankful that I got a chance to become the VP of this college. This has taught me a lot. The point when I learnt how to deal with people and how to talk to them. Now I know when I need to speak and when I need to keep shut. Basically it is about attaining maturity. Since I had become the VP of the college I had to deal with many people, with many situations. 
When people talk about "Kaalrav" they do not know the things that have happened, behind the scenes of Kaalrav, how difficult it is to put up such a big event. There is a huge difference between our departmental fests and our college fest. During college fest you have to deal with everyone and bring them together. 
I am also very thankful to teachers like Mr. Bikas Sharma and Yanki mam. They taught me how to speak during council meetings and were always there to guide me. Due to all these experiences I feel confident about myself and I can deal with any situation. Being an engineer I have learnt how to study one night before an exam and pass it with good marks. Basically I have learnt to manage things. In college we go through a lot of pressure which makes us strong. 4years which include 8 semesters out of which 7 semesters you are in college giving so many sessionals, quizzes, submitting assignments. This is how we learn to manage and handle pressure. 
This is the reason why companies prefer engineers over normal graduates. They have been through so much in their college life that they can handle any pressure. This college has given me everything which includes experiences, good friends, best friends, lovely seniors and juniors.

Q. Are you happy with the work you did as VP and what is the most memorable thing you have done as a VP?

Ans-Yes, I am. I think the most memorable thing I have done as the VP of this college was my last council meeting I think I got a chance to prove to the authority that the students form the college and not the administration.
My last council meeting was the best part of my life. Every single time whenever I wanted to do something different, the  administration would turn it down and do it their way. But my last council meeting was my biggest  achievement as the VP of this college.


2 comments:

  1. Please correct the spelling of "weather" in the 2nd para of the "Have you faced any sort of problem related to administration?" question

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is "whether" and that is the requirement of the word in that sentence. Appreciate your effort for notifying it.

      Delete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *